The Critic

I'm still working on the sample chapter to send to the editor.  I missed my deadline. Everyone's wondering why this piece of writing is taking me so long.  Every day I wonder that same thing.  There are a few reasons and let's explore them thusly in a bulleted list.

  • I'm being overly critical of the chapter and that's impeding my creativity.
  • The editor has suggested a change in direction with the book that's making a sample chapter tricky to write.
  • I have a serious problem with wanting to be in the world of the internets as often as possible.
  • Because we were gone for a year, there have been many appointments this month that I've needed to attend to.  
  • I keep getting distracted by thoughts about my new job. 
  • I'm anxious that I missed my deadline.
  • I worry that the editor will not like the sample chapter and then all this work will be for nothing and everyone will think I'm a big loser.  (This is kind of like the first item in the bulleted list, (see above) but I think it bears repeating). 
Lo, this very morning, Husbandman listened to my summary of each section of the chapter.  The last section is not in a good state right now, but it is Husbandman's professional opinion that this could be the day that I wrestle last section down to the ground.  Julia Cameron in Finding Water tells us, "Writers must write for the love of writing and not merely, or only, to fulfill a book contract."  She also says that we need to remember that the "tiniest smidgen of progress is something to be savored." Husbandman likes what I have so far.  He has been happily encouraging. Today I'm going to try to renew my friendship with the chapter.  I hope to savor its company.  Here goes.

Comments

LH said…
This is a good quote I just read when I was checking my tumblr

"You have to surrender to your mediocrity, and just write. Because it’s hard, really hard, to write even a crappy book. But it’s better to write a book that kind of sucks rather than no book at all, as you wait around to magically become Faulkner. No one is going to write your book for you and you can’t write anybody’s book but your own."


Cheryl Strayed (via maxkirin)
Anonymous said…
Perhaps this will help?

“Perfectionism is the voice of the oppressor, the enemy of the people. It will keep you cramped and insane your whole life, and it is the main obstacle between you and a shitty first draft. I think perfectionism is based on the obsessive belief that if you run carefully enough, hitting each stepping-stone just right, you won't have to die. The truth is that you will die anyway and that a lot of people who aren't even looking at their feet are going to do a whole lot better than you, and have a lot more fun while they're doing it.”
― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

--mem in ca
LH said…
Can Anne Lamott come live at my house please? I am begging you.
LH said…
Working hard again today, following the slogan:

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.
LH said…
Husbandman and #1 Son have left for the movies. This could be a very productive time for me.

We shall see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer.... and saw.
lee said…
I'm scared to do this next part.
Not going to lie.
LH said…
I'm doing some editing now. I'm not really done with the draft as a whole, but I'm not really not done.

Not sure what to think right now. But one thing's for sure. This chapter is killing my fit bit goals
LH said…
Still editing along. Super time consuming. My brain hurts.
LH said…
Even I am amazed at how slowly I'm working on this.
LH said…
It's getting kind of raggedy.
LH said…
I am done editing. Now Husbandman will read it over for me I hope. I don't have super high hopes but it's done and I can think about something else for awhile.

Maybe I'll take a walk now.
Then
I'll probably have a glass of wine.
LH said…
The chapter is sent off. I've also taken a long walk.

Life is pretty good, when you think about it.
KC said…
I'm really proud of you, and I think you're so smart. And cool
jdoc said…
You inspire me. Seriously. Nicely done.
LH said…
Thx dolls. What a day. You're both the awesomest.
Anonymous said…
I hold you in the highest esteem, my friend. Unbelievable!!
jw

Popular Posts